Getting ‘No signal’ on your DisplayPort? Here’s a fix

DisplayPort-logo
When I got a new desktop computer I ran into issues with DisplayPort. My screens worked just fine (even in UHD, albeit at only 30Hz.) with the DVI cables, but when I’d hook them up with DisplayPort cables, I’d get a ‘No signal’. For some reason this only occurred with 3rd party DP-cables. The cable which came with the screen did work, but was too short for my needs.

The 1st set of 3rd party cables I returned because I thought they were defective. As replacement I ordered 2 different DP-cables. When both of those didn’t work for me either, I resorted to Google for answers. And that’s how I found the solution: Unplug your screens for a minute from the mains! (Merely turning them off/on won’t do the trick. Apparently there’s one/more capacitor(s) which needs to fully discharge.

Since I don’t want to go through the hassle of physically unplugging my screens between use, I enabled the EcoControl feature on the UPS to which the PC is connected. As soon as it notices the PC (master) is switched off, it cuts the electricity to the screens (slaves).

After I did this I haven’t had any problems any more with my displays.

No guarantee this will work for you if you experience ‘no signal’, but it’s worth a try 😎

My hardware:

PCDell Alienware Area-51 R2
GPUNVIDIA® GeForce GTX 980
displayAOC U2868PQU
UPSEaton Ellipse ECO 1200 DIN

37,047 views

34 Responses to “Getting ‘No signal’ on your DisplayPort? Here’s a fix

Lucas Camilo
    4 weeks ago

OH MY GOD I THOUGHT I HAD A FAULTY DISPLAYPORT, THANKS A LOT!

• A very Huge Thank you. was trying for 2 hours changing leads, uninstalling drivers changing graphic cards…… A simple case of turn it off and on again Works ! 🙂 well happy. Cheers.

• This really helped out, Thank you

Edward Colbeth
    3 months ago

Thanks! That was driving me crazy!

Billy Gargaro
    4 months ago

THANK YOU!!!!! I was considering purchasing a new monitor – simply unplugging it fixed it! I am using a DP to VGA dongle so I just thought it would not work.

• did the pc still on when you unplug the powercord monitor?

• Thank you! I researched a switched cable and found it! It’s a “switched C14 to C13 cable” like ebay item 201629171936. It’s easy on/off and no need to plug/unplug.

Flavian Mihele
    4 months ago

You are the man – thank you so much

stereomd
    4 months ago

Thanks for this Evert. I had the same problem with my AOC U3477PQU. All I had to do was unplug the monitor and leave it for a couple of minutes! Such a simple fix. Regards, M

• Thanks, it worked as you suggested. Just had to wait for some capacitor (?!) to discharge.

• Thanks very much. This seems to be a common problem for AOC-Displays. I have a AOC G240PF. I never noticed the problem before since I kept unplugging my wholy system if i didn’t use it, Just didn’t do it yesterday….

• just create an account to say THANK YOU ! 😀 It works fine ! Big thank you from Germany

Herp Derp
    6 months ago

Thank you good sir! This has been a massive help when this first happened to me, again thank you!

• Worked like a charm on AOC 34″. Has to be a better way though. Perhaps some tweak to Display settings which properly wakes monitor up?

• Found this when searching for a solution to a similar problem with my setup. I have two Asus PB287Q 4K UHD monitors, 1 – 32″ HDMI TV, and 2 – 23″ DVI connected monitor on my rig. 5 monitors in total. 2 – 4K monitors are connected to a GTX 980 Strix Nvidia GPU and the two DVI Monitors are connected to a GTX 750ti. One of the 4K monitors refuses to work on display port. I swapped cables and nothing I have done has fixed the issue. the other twin 4k monitor works wherever you plug it in and the HDMI port works fine at 3840×2160. Going to try the power down idea and see if it helps otherwise its RMA time. Great way to start a Monday!

• I managed to get the Display port working again on the problem child monitor. Ended up hooking up a HDMI cable, going into System setup > DisplayPort Stream .and setting the option to 1.2. This managed to bring the display port back to life again. FWIW I could not get into System Setup without connecting the HDMI cable. There was simply no options available to me on the menu, with display port not working. I tried the power down method for a couple minutes to no avail. Hopefully this helps someone else that might have the same issue.

• You blessed man. I had the exact same problem. I searched for many other solutions but this one solved it!! I was so confused. at first I though “no way my gtx 980 just crapped out. Thank you!

• Same problem all the time aoc 28 etc gtx 980 ‘s always having to do this all the time unplug n plug back in any news on a fault with these monitors?

David Baker
    9 months ago

you da man man. This did the job on my aoc u3447

• Holy crap. Can’t wait to try this when I get home. I’ve been through so many cables, driver updates, bios updates, ATI firmware updates… forcing unsigned AOC drivers… updating DisplayLink drivers… etc.

I really hope this works. AOC U3477 here

Aaron Hritz
      9 months ago

Well, it kind of worked. Still can’t get DP to work in 3440. On my second set of monoprice DP cables. Just purchased another brand on Amazon with high hopes.

• Fixed! StarTech,com cable > MonoPrice cable (when it comes to DP cables, at least).

Dai Mess
    9 months ago

LEGEND – I also have AOC U2868PQU 28″ 4K Monitor and Nvidia GTX 960 4GB. I’ve had problems intermittently with display port not working but recently it would not work on display port at all (HDMI was fine). Tried all sorts to fix it then stumbled across this – worked a treat. Thanks OP.

John Cena
    10 months ago

Thanks dude. First i tried going to nvidia control panel and selecting the monitor, but it would never work. but after that I Turned off my computer for about 5 minutes and it was still a black screen. but the nvidia control panel started working. Thanks. if this didnt work for you go into your system settings and try that again

• Thanks – just needed to try this with my Mac laptop and it worked! Had me worried on a Monday!

• Same thing with my Asus PB287Q Display.
    I probably fixed it, can anyone check this out please

Power options (control panel – system and securety)
    PCI Express : Link state management – Turn it of.

It works for me at the moment.

• Rubs Mine is already turn off – I have the same monitor but I still have the same problem

I have PB278Q and a ASUS GTX 980 TI OC

Trevor DESFX
    11 months ago

Worked like a CHARM! Thanks a lot for the fix!

• DUDE!! You are my friggin hero!!! I have been trying everthing from Bios updates to cable and hardware swaps and this 1 minute of effort actually works! I was getting no displayport to my ASUS 248qe monitor after upgrading to an R9 390x. Couldnt figure it out for the life of me after a clean driver install and the other things mentioned. I simply unplugged the Displayport cable and power cord with the system was running and plugged them back in about a minute later. My ASUS monitor came right up at 800×600 resolution. I changed the res and refresh rate via Windows and bingo!! works great! I cannot thank you enough!

• Thank you for the “fix”, I have an AOC 24″ g2460Fq

Matthew Goldsmith
    1 year ago

Had the same problem with an AOC 3440×1440 this solved it! I’m a little dissapointed with this screen and this issue as its a very expensive screen, i expected better.

JumpSue
    1 year ago

Same thing… Brand new AOC U2868PQU 4K monitor and all of a sudden there is a ‘No Signal’ on startup.
    I used your advice above and physically pulled out the power cable from back of the monitor and left for 10-15 minutes. Voila – Monitor comes back on after that – so definaltey the Capacitor in the monitor.
    Might try to contact AOC on this as I consider this a manufacturing fault.
    I have just heard the manager at the computing store I bought this from has the same monitor, and has had it replaced twice but each monitor still has the same issue.
    Thanks for the workaround, at least it got me out of trouble on a production day.