James Bond: 12(!) actors, and 26 movies in 56 years

6x James Bond

the 6 best-known actors to play 007.

I’ve been looking for a list of all James Bond movies in chronological order myself more than once in the past, so when I eventually found the information I figured I’ll make it a little easier for others to find as well by posting a chronological list here.

The release date for the upcoming Bond movie, ‘No time to die’, has been set to April 3rd, 2020.

26 movies

Casino Royale2006Daniel Craig
Quantum of solace2008
Skyfall2012
Spectre2015
No time to die2020

12 actors

And no less than 12 actors have portrayed James Bond in the media. In chronological order: Barry Nelson, Bob Holness, Sean Connery, Roger Moore, David Niven, George Lazenby, Christopher Cazenove, Timothy Dalton, Michael Jayston, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig & Toby Stephens. [main source]

(Did you get to 12 when you counted the actors in your head? I didn’t… 😎 )

893,691 views

113 Responses to “James Bond: 12(!) actors, and 26 movies in 56 years

• The only Bond’s that should be counted are the official ones.

Not the lame, ridiculous, too stupid to laugh at spoof Casino Royale. Nor the Thunderball remake Never Say Never Again. Nor the radio voice actors & most definitely not the absolutely awful Casino Royale with Barry Nelson!!

A honourable mention should be attributed to the guy who played him in the documentary you mention.

As well as Everything or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007, the docudrama that George Lazenby did last year is well worth a look called Becoming Bond.

• Why is the new bond movie being called Bond 25? Shouldn’t it be 26? This is according to IMDB

• Well… It all depends on how you count them. My list contains 26 movies already, but I’ve chosen to include the 2 unofficial Bond movies, Casino Royale (1967) & Never say never again (1983). Exclude those, and you’ll have only 24 official Bond movies to date.

• Why are they considered unofficial? Though I did miss the original casino royale in my own movie collection so I’ll have to find that one bring my list to 26 also.

• I think it’s simply because they weren’t produced by Albert R. Broccoli, but anyone is welcome to correct me if I’m wrong here.

• Dhana Pilkinton
    1 year ago

you missed one movie

• Michael Casaletto
    2 years ago

I’m 70 years old and for those of us who grew up on the James Bond movies without reading the books, no one, ABSOLUTELY no one can replace Sean Connery, It was as though the movie’s were written explicitly for him. One of the things I missed the most was of course his voice, definitely 007. He was much smoother then the others, ” Stirred, not shaken “. It’s would be like replacing Jackie Gleason on the Honeymooners

• Dinesh U
    2 years ago

Hi I am great followers of Bond films and my suggestion is those who are acted as a Hero in a Bond film like Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig they are needs to be act in any one part of Bond film.It will surprise to Bond movie followers. But Script and Screenplay should be good to carry the weight age to every one.

• Randy Terhorst
    2 years ago

Roger Moore was the best with Connery second followed by Brosnan and Craig even.Dalton was horrible,almost stopped watching the Bond movies because of him.

• Adam Overton
      2 years ago

I didn’t think Dalton was terrible, but the scripts for his movies were. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

• To quote Raymond from Everybody loves Raymond. “You are an idiot wrapped in a moron” Daniel Craig was the best, followed closely by connery. A three way tie for last Brosnon Dalton and Moore. Not seen any of the others

• Connery (in the first 2 films anyway), 2. Craig (although he’s hard to imagine as the Naval Commander Fleming wrote him as ), 3. Connery (in the remaining films), 4. Dalton (highly underrated and rose above the material), 5. Lazenby (thankless job to follow Connery and he did just fine in the best 007 film), 6. Brosnan (no real sense of danger), 7. Moore (…danger? What’s that? raises eyebrow and does double take). then the rest, although Niven/Sellers were fun.

• I find I like Craig’s portrayal and find it closer to the books. Second I rate Connery. I found the whole Moore era too cartoony with too many gadgets and too much of a predictable format.

• Jerry L ira
    2 years ago

Connery…Sean Connery played the character with such confidence that Bond,James Bond became 007 license to movie sequels. The Godfather of spy!! All others must be triple 000 agents.

• To me, the REAL James Bonds were those who were the stunt doubles for the actors that you never hear about and get a 1 second credit at the end of the film.

• Sean Connery was the best bond. then Timothy Dalton and then Roger Moore.

• I am curious as to the ages of the people that posted comments. I’m 56 and a Bond fan. Connery was the best Bond originally ( and my favorite, still is) but as times change, so does the way we see our heroes. Connery was great because he was rugid and handsome in a manly way, not like a male model (Roger Moore) and looked as if he could survive a lot of things he came up against. As we get into the 2000’s I can see the younger generations liking Bronson and Craig, who by the way did great jobs of portraying Bond. I’m old school and Connery is still my guy. Oh, and I’m talking movies not series.