James Bond: 12(!) actors, and 26 movies in 56 years

6x James Bond

the 6 best-known actors to play 007.

I’ve been looking for a list of all James Bond movies in chronological order myself more than once in the past, so when I eventually found the information I figured I’ll make it a little easier for others to find as well by posting a chronological list here.

The release date for the upcoming Bond movie, ‘No time to die’, has been set to April 3rd, 2020.

26 movies

Casino Royale2006Daniel Craig
Quantum of solace2008
Skyfall2012
Spectre2015
No time to die2020

12 actors

And no less than 12 actors have portrayed James Bond in the media. In chronological order: Barry Nelson, Bob Holness, Sean Connery, Roger Moore, David Niven, George Lazenby, Christopher Cazenove, Timothy Dalton, Michael Jayston, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig & Toby Stephens. [main source]

(Did you get to 12 when you counted the actors in your head? I didn’t… 😎 )

893,692 views

113 Responses to “James Bond: 12(!) actors, and 26 movies in 56 years

• Daniel Craig is the worst bond they could’ve ever picked completely ruined James Bond for me

• Frank L Bales
      3 years ago

I’ve been watching JB for over 50 years. The one first I saw was Goldfinger, which I thought I saw in 1964, but this list says 1965. It’s my favorite for nostalgic reasons. That said, I think Daniel Craig is, without a doubt, the best Bond ever, but to each their own.

• Umesh Vaidya
    3 years ago

I have seen all 26 movies of James Bond : 007 :
    my most favorite
    spy hero , dream son of Ian Fleming ….!
    And I do posses all 26 movies DVD
    collection too .

• TheMacDude
    3 years ago

A possibly underrated movie in this day and age, The World Is Not Enough, came in 1999 if you read the chart. It features Pierce Brosnan and a submarine fight, not to mention a boat chase and a huge twist that I didn’t see coming. No spoilers for you though! I got my copy from a thrift store and it runs perfectly

• Nadine Francis
    4 years ago

They started out so silly with corny jokes and poor acting and now they are excellent. My favorite is Daniel Craig. Excellent actor and serious 007. I had just come home from the USN when the first one came out. Had to have my VHS copies made into DVD’s.

• I think the first Bond was the original Bond, 1900-1989 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_(ornithologist) ) He was James Bond before anyone else was James Bond and in Die Another Day (2002), Pierce Brosnan as Bond holds up a book that the original James Bond wrote 🙂

• I say that bond movie you only live twice I saw that one when I was like 10 maby how to not go to war with russa was cool then but that was befor vietnam

• Anthony Flis
      3 years ago

You must be joking. Research required here man. My cats a good 007 fan her name is Trinity, she’s 13years old.

• you forgot the first TV film from 1954, Casino Royale starring Barry Nelson, the only American James Bond

• Nope, you forgot to read the earlier comments 😉

Barry Nelson played James Bond in an episode of the TV-series Climax!

• I think the original film version of casino royale was 1957 not 54 but I may be wrong

• Kamikazi02
      4 years ago

that was not a movie that is a series

• Hmm, it was a bit of an in-between. It was indeed not a feature-length movie, but it doesn’t really meet the criteria (‘a coherent narrative unit within a larger dramatic work such as a film or television series’) of an episode either since the episode before and after the James Bond-one were in no way coherent to it. 😎

• D Laghezza
    4 years ago

In the Niven spoof CASINO ROYALE, Woody Allen played his nephew, Jimmy Bond. I think it might be fair to include him if we are going to list a South African radio show actor that no one outside that country is likely to have heard.

• However (in)famous Mr. Allen is (compared to Bob Holness), he has never portrayed James Bond himself.

• Peter Sellers is also in Casino Royale as the agent recruited to be the new James Bond.

• Hmm, you have a point there! 🙂

I see that the IMDB indeed lists him as ‘Evelyn Tremble/James Bond 007’. However… that applies to Ursula Andress as well. She’s listed as ‘Vesper Lynd/James Bond 007’.

I think I’ll first rewatch the movie, before I add them, and the others listed as ‘James Bond 007’ 🙂

• ron maltase
    4 years ago

I was born in 1968 and been a huge bond fan, always. I’ve never heard of Christopher Cazenove’s involvement in the bond world?

• Christopher Cazenove played James Bond in Omnibus: The British Hero, a documentary and literary review style show on the BBC. He acted out several scenes from Ian Fleming’s novels, including the scene from Goldfinger, where James Bond is nearly killed with a chainsaw (as opposed to the laser in the film Goldfinger).

• Technically, Barry Nelson was the first Bond.

• Yup. That’s why he’s mentioned first in the list of actors who portrayed James bond. 😎

• Curious , why does Sean Connery play Bond again after George and then again in Roger Moores stint ?

• Take a peek at http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Sean_Connery. I think that answers your question 🙂

• He (Connery) needed to revive his career in 1971’s Diamonds are Forever and mostly needed the money in 1983’s Never say never again. (:>)

• Jai Brar
        3 years ago

False bring. George Lazenby took to too much partying and womanising so they had to let him go. His movie On her majesty’s secret service also dint do too well and bond was still not fully established so they had to bring Sean connery back. Never say never again was not an official bond movie. Sean cannery only did it to spike Albert r broccoli as they had a fall out after you only live twice as they were not paying him well and the two had other differences. You can watch “everything or nothing” the untold story of 007

• Lazenby only signed a 1 movie contract on his managements’ recommendations. They believed that the franchise wasn’t viable and wouldn’t last much longer.
          Interesting side note; Adam West turned down the role as he thought that Bond shouldn’t be played by an American.
          Pop culture note; Lazenby is Marge Simpson’s favourite Bond!

• Ron King
    5 years ago

What about Barry Nelson who played Bond in 1954 in the movie Casino Royale

• He’s listed, below the movie table.
      Barry Nelson played James Bond in S01E03 of the TV series Climax! (technically speaking this is not a movie).